Retro-fitting EmberArresta Valves
The purpose of Retro-fitting EmberArresta Valves is to increase the level of protection of your family and home as well as reduce risk and improve overall safety during extreme adverse weather conditions experienced during Bush Fire and Ember Attack. Retro-fitting valves is an easy process, even if all your guttering and downpipes have been in place for years, or simply needs some repair or even an upgrade.
Remember, approximately eighty percent or more of homes and dwellings caught in Bush Fires are lost due to Ember Attack.
When considering the installation of Valves to Gutter Outlets or Downpipes of any type or size, you need to make some of the following observations as a minimum;
- Check the overall condition of your guttering, outlets and downpipes - There may be existing leaks or damage that needs to be sealed or repaired. (A good Adhesive Sealant will help).
- Note the size of outlets and downpipes and how many you have. (Generally 90mm)
- Decide where you need to install the Valves as well as the colour you need to paint them - Directly to the outlet or outlets, inline the downpipe or a combination of both.
- Consider accessibility in an emergency when deciding placement of the Valves.
- Be aware of the surroundings near the valve installation points you have chosen, they may be close to vegetation and as a result an optional Radiant Heat Shield or additional painting may be required to help protect the valve from Radiant Heat generated by an approaching Fire.
- To help protect your stored water supplies (Rain Water), also ensure that the entry points to your tanks are well sealed as well. This will stop Airborne contaminates from entering and polluting precious stored water.
- If for example, Fire Retardants enter your water storages, you may lose both the Tanks and the Water in them to contamination.
When installing, ensure brackets are placed near the valves, either just above or just below to give added support to the downpipes. If you have different sized pipe or outlets, simply use an Adaptor that can be obtained cheaply and easily from any Hardware and or Plumbing store or make a Spacer from materials already at hand.
A good Adhesive Sealant can also be used to seal valves to outlets and downpipes as well as to downpipe made from different materials such as Copper, Galv/Tin, Aluminium ect.
Be Bush Fire Ready